Legal Secretary/Administrative Support
JOB SUMMARY: Performs a variety of legal secretarial and administrative support duties for assigned attorney(s), many of which are unique to a legal environment and require a working knowledge of commercial litigation, white collar criminal defense litigation and compliance and internal investigations.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: Reports to Office Manager
CORE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Maintains a working knowledge of filing fees, filing periods, court peculiarities and procedural differences
2. Prepares documents such as entries of appearance, notices of depositions, requests for production, retrieving and using appropriate information from specific files, etc.
3. Types complex legal pleadings, briefs, correspondence, memoranda, reports, discovery notices, responses and motions, ending with a final product suitable for filing. May transcribe dictation.
4. Maintains a daily calendar in internal management system for attorney(s). Responsible for reminders to attorney(s) on all pleadings and discovery matters.
5. Schedules depositions, judicial conferences, meeting with clients, and other counsel for assigned attorney(s).
6. May travel to courthouses to check court dockets and retrieve information on service of process, etc. and to make filings with the Courts. Also, may travel to law offices or elsewhere to make filings, deliveries, and pickups.
7. Understands and maintains confidentiality in respect to the attorney-client relationship, HIPPA, trial strategies, Ethics rules, the identities of plaintiff, and defense clients.
8. Has working knowledge of each file assigned to attorney(s); knows parties involved, basic facts, general discovery, arbitration or trial status, and major discovery to be accomplished. Inputs and retrieves information through matter management system.
9. Answers telephone, takes messages, and handles more complex inquiries. Directs or redirects calls, and pulls related files as necessary.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Education: High school graduate or equivalent. Formal technical legal secretarial training at a business or technical school preferred. Experience: Three years’ experience as a Legal Secretary in a law office. Prefer experience in commercial litigation, white collar criminal defense litigation and compliance and internal investigations.
Knowledge: General office practice and procedures. Working knowledge of legal concepts, terminology, and processes. Operations, practices, and procedures of a law office engaged in the practice of commercial litigation. Filing procedures of the various courts handled by the office.
Skills/ Competencies: Type 60-80 wpm. Command of verbal and written communication skills for contact and interaction with attorneys, court personnel, clients, and other support staff. Ability to operate business machines such as photocopier, calculator, and personal computer with business and legal software.
Staffing Exceptions: Staffing exceptions to the above minimum job requirements must be approved by the: Managing Partners
CREDIT CHECK: Due to the fiduciary accountabilities within this job, a valid credit check and/or background check will be required as part of the selection process.
The schedule for this position will generally be from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to Stephanie Goodnight at email@example.com.