James M. Humphrey IV
Jim Humphrey brings more than 20 years of substantial legal experience to a multifaceted and wide-ranging private practice at Graves Garrett Greim. He focuses on all aspects of commercial and business, class-action and multiparty, and securities litigation, while also providing notable depth to the firm’s high-profile work in white collar criminal defense, government investigations, compliance and regulatory enforcement, and professional liability and malpractice claims.
Most importantly, Jim has built a notable track record of success as an accomplished trial attorney with experience at an Am Law 100 law firm, as a federal government lawyer (United States Commodity Futures Trading Commission [CFTC]), and now at a prestigious litigation boutique with the ability to serve clients throughout the country. He has a proven ability to navigate high-stakes situations, while maximizing beneficial outcomes for clients of wide-ranging size and across the full spectrum of industries.
Jim’s combination of private practice and government experience informs his ability to effectively counsel clients on their legal needs at the intersection of compliance and business opportunities.
Prior to entering private practice, Jim served as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable Gary A. Fenner in the United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri. In 2015, he joined the CFTC’s Division of Enforcement and served five years as a Senior Trial Attorney while handling investigations and litigation across the nation. This included solicitation fraud and Ponzi schemes, virtual currency investments, spoofing involving electronic trading, insider trading, and money laundering schemes. This beneficially allowed him to work extensively with most major federal law enforcement and regulatory authorities, including the U.S. Department of Justice, FBI, DEA, and SEC.
In a return to private practice, Jim continues to utilize his legal skills in the areas of commercial litigation and class-action defense with an emphasis on securities, business disputes, and contract matters, including insurance-coverage issues.
Jim completed his undergraduate studies at Metropolitan State University in Denver and later earned his Juris Doctor from Creighton University School of Law. In addition, he is a 2014 graduate of the FBI’s Citizens Academy.
Civic and Community Involvement
- Business Council Representative, Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, 2013-2015
- Board of Directors, Junior Achievement of Middle America, Inc., 2011-2015
- Creighton University School of Law, J.D. (1998)
- magna cum laude
- Assistant Editor, Creighton Law Review
- Metropolitan State University, B.S., (criminal justice and criminology) (1995)
- cum laude
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Recognitions and Distinctions
- POWER List (White Collar Defense), Missouri Lawyers Weekly, 2020-present
- Best Lawyers in America, 2024
- Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers (Business Litigation/Securities Litigation), 2013, 2014, 2020-2022
- Mentor, Ross T. Roberts Trial Academy, 2015-present
- Life Fellow, American Bar Foundation, 2013-present
- Centurions Leadership Program, Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, 2013-2015
- Graduate, Federal Bureau of Investigation Citizens Academy, 2014
Professional Memberships and Certifications
- President, Lawyers Association of Kansas City, 2012-2013
- Board of Directors, Lawyers Association of Kansas City, 2007-2013