Edward D. Greim
Graves Garrett LLC
Edward “Eddie” Greim focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation, free speech and election law, and internal investigations and whistleblower claims. He has been recognized for his successful representation of businesses and individuals in commercial litigation while also being named a “go-to” lawyer on policy and constitutional issues.
Eddie was named a Constitutional and Election Law Trailblazer by the National Law Journal in 2020. His free speech and election law practice has included numerous constitutional challenges to election and campaign finance laws; representation of clients in state and federal ethics and campaign finance enforcement actions and investigations; initiative petition drafting and litigation; litigation and advice regarding First Amendment protections for petition circulation; representation of not-for-profit clients before state regulators; litigation of state and federal redistricting issues; and advice on campaign and election law compliance.
Eddie complements his trial work in complex, high-profile commercial and constitutional cases with oral advocacy and briefing in important appeals. Recognized as a Missouri Lawyers Media POWER 30 Appellate Attorney in 2021, he has argued before the Missouri and Kansas supreme courts multiple times, other state appellate courts across the country, and before the Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, and Tenth U.S. Courts of Appeals.
Eddie’s notable work for clients includes:
- Recovering substantial compensation and injunctive relief for plaintiffs, in complex multiyear litigation, as lead counsel in the first and only nationwide class action certified against the Internal Revenue Service for violating taxpayer protection statutes when it targeted hundreds of groups based on their political viewpoints.
- Successful First Amendment challenge to Missouri’s 2016 campaign finance restrictions.
- Successful challenge to a vast, multiyear, secret criminal investigation into Wisconsin political groups and nonprofits, and follow-up challenge to expose role of state ethics board which secretly aided the investigation and was later dissolved by the legislature.
- U.S. Supreme Court amicus brief for the National Republican Redistricting Trust in the 2019 Rucho litigation, and federal and state redistricting litigation and advice since 2011.
- Challenges under the First Amendment in federal court, and in briefing to the Michigan Supreme Court on state constitutional grounds, to unprecedented emergency powers claimed by Michigan Governor in 2020.
- Representation of numerous public officials and private citizens who are subject to “lawfare” attacks based on their political viewpoints or policy objectives.
- Oversight of multiple internal investigations.
Eddie received his law degree from Harvard Law School in 2002, where he taught on the Board of Student Advisers, received the Dean’s Award for Leadership, and served as President of the Harvard Catholic Law Students Association. He received two bachelor’s degrees, summa cum laude, in economics and political science from the University of Missouri.
A native of Excelsior Springs, Missouri, Eddie lives in Kansas City with his family. He enjoys Missouri and military history. On many weekends, he can be found with his wife and daughters exploring sites of local interest. He enjoys reading and debating and has given presentations or organized discussions at numerous gatherings, formal and informal, of professional and personal interest.
Professional Memberships and Certifications
- Federalist Society national Free Speech & Election Law Practice Group, Executive Committee, 2019-present
- U.S. Commission on Civil Rights Missouri Advisory Committee, Member
- Federalist Society Kansas City Lawyers Chapter, President
- Catholic Lawyers Guild of Kansas City, Secretary
- Catholic Bar Association
Civic and Community Involvement
- Serra Club of Kansas City, Trustee
- Knights of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem
- Knights of Columbus
- Visitation Church, Faith Formation team
- University of Missouri, B.A. Economics and Political Science (1999)
- Harvard Law School, J.D. (2002)
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- Pro Hac across the nation as necessary
Recognitions and Distinctions
- POWER 30 Appellate Attorneys: Missouri Lawyers Media, 2021
- Constitutional and Election Law Trailblazer, National Law Journal, 2020
- St. Thomas More Award, Catholic Lawyers Guild of Kansas City, 2019
- Sigma Chi Significant Sig Award, 2019
- 40 Under 40, Ingram’s Kansas City, 2016
- Best of the Bar, Kansas City Business Journal, 2015
- Missouri Lawyers Award: Influential Lawyer Award, Missouri Lawyers Weekly, 2012
- Best Lawyers in America, 2018-present
- Missouri & Kansas Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2011-2017
- Up & Coming Lawyer Award, Missouri Lawyers Weekly, 2009