Joe McGroder has extensive experience in both civil and criminal law with his practice concentrated primarily in the area of white collar criminal defense. Joe represents individual and corporate clients facing high-stakes investigations and prosecutions. He is experienced in guiding clients through treacherous criminal proceedings concerning a wide array of complex issues and a variety of charges.
Joe’s civil practice includes equally complex, often high-profile commercial and constitutional litigation. Additionally, Joe has experience overseeing internal investigations, which often involve a combination of criminal and civil issues. His experience in both areas of law makes him uniquely qualified to counsel corporate clients as they endeavor to ascertain hard facts and evaluate their exposure to liability during uncertain times.
Among Joe’s best qualities are his relatable demeanor and Midwestern charm, which serve him well both inside and outside the courtroom. Joe is sensitive to the needs of clients faced with the specter of criminal prosecution and is keenly aware of the far-reaching implications of litigation for businesses and individuals alike. Joe’s priority is to provide each of his clients with the comprehensive representation necessary to ensuring that they emerge from the most challenging circumstances in the best conceivable position.
Joe earned his law degree from Kansas University where he wrote for the Kansas Journal of Law and Public Policy. Joe earned his bachelor’s degree in history and English literature from Loyola University New Orleans where he graduated magna cum laude.
Outside of the office, Joe enjoys exercise, travel, live music and spending time with his family. Joe also dedicates his time to philanthropic pursuits. He currently serves on the Young Executive Board at Giving the Basics, which provides essential personal care items to low-income families in Kansas City.
Professional Memberships and Certifications
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Criminal Justice Act (CJA) Panel
Civic and Community Involvement
- Giving the Basics, Young Executive Board member
Recognitions and Distinctions
- Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch, 2024
- Up & Coming Lawyer Award, Missouri Lawyers Weekly, 2022
- University of Kansas School of Law, J.D. (2015)
- Kansas Journal of Law and Public Policy
- Loyola University (New Orleans), B.A. in History and English Literature
- magna cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska
- Pro Hac across the nation as necessary