Matt Mueller joined Graves Garrett as an associate in 2017. Matt represents individuals and businesses across a variety of industries in complex litigation matters throughout the country. He supports the firm’s commercial litigation, white collar criminal defense, and free speech, campaign finance and election law practice groups.
Matt regularly represents clients facing government investigations and enforcement proceedings and has been involved in highly publicized suits implicating First Amendment and other constitutional rights. He also serves as outside general counsel to a large social media company, as well as several 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) non-profit organizations. Within the firm, he is also responsible for supervising interns and summer associates at Graves Garrett, including monitoring workflow, providing feedback and evaluations, and facilitating professional and personal development opportunities.
Matt earned his law degree from the University of Missouri School of Law, where he participated in the Mizzou Law Veteran’s Clinic. In addition to advocating for veterans throughout the process of appealing denied claims, he helped to write and edit a petition for writ of certiorari to the United States Supreme Court. While in law school, Matt was on the Dean’s List each semester while simultaneously developing practical experience working extensive hours at a local law firm.
Matt graduated magna cum laude from Truman State University, where he was named the Outstanding Undergraduate in Justice Systems and was involved in Greek life. Matt is a member of the Truman State University Kansas City Alumni Chapter and President of the Truman Chapter of the Beta Theta Pi fraternity alumni association.
An Eagle Scout, Matt enjoys traveling and being outdoors whenever possible.
Civic and Community Involvement
- President, Truman State Chapter of Beta Theta Pi Fraternity Alumni Association
- University of Missouri School of Law, J.D. (2017)
- Dean’s List
- Phi Alpha Delta, Phi Delta Phi
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards: Business Organizations, Real Estate Transactions
- Truman State University, B.S., Psychology, Justice Systems (2014)
- Magna Cum Laude
- Beta Theta Pi Fraternity
- Truman Leadership Scholars Program
- Outstanding Undergraduate in Justice Systems
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- Pro Hac across the nation as necessary
Recognitions and Distinctions
- Recognized Attorney in Missouri for Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations, Chambers USA, 2020-2021
- POWER 30: White-Collar and Criminal Defense, Missouri Lawyers Weekly, 2020 (inaugural class)
- Healthcare Trailblazer, National Law Journal, 2020
- Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Trailblazer, National Law Journal, 2015
- Missouri Lawyers Awards: Influential Lawyer Award, Missouri Lawyers Weekly, 2019
- Distinguished Service Award, U.S. Department of Justice, 2010
- Best of the Bar, Kansas City Business Journal, 2014, 2016, 2018
- Lawyer of the Year (Criminal Defense: White-Collar), Best Lawyers in America, 2018
- Best Lawyers in America, 2015-Present
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, 2010-Present
- Top 100 List, KC Magazine, 2014
- Attorney General Awards, 2010